I get asked all the time for that magic pill to help someone lose weight. While there are some things out there that can help, I usually don’t like them because it takes away the need to truly change your diet. Here are some tips to help you succeed:
- 5HTP or Tryptophan: These products boost your serotonin levels which decreases your sugar cravings. My favorite are TravaGen and TravaCor depending how low the serotonin levels are (yes, you can measure these in urine).
*Caution: do not take a supplement with 5HTP or Tryptophan if you are taking a SSRI, ie: Lexapro, Prozac, Citalopram and many more. This combination can cause a sky high blood pressure called serotonin syndrome which is a medical emergency.
- Appecurb: This is a combination product by Xymogen that can help curb the cravings. It has amino acids and key nutrients to help with the neurotransmitters PEA and Serotonin which are responsible for cravings.
*Again, caution with SSRI. This doesn’t have as much 5HTP in it as above but still proceed slowly.
- Fiber: Increase your fiber and you will feel more satisfied.
- HcG: Ok, you already know what I am going to say, but just in case… I think anyone who goes on a 500 calorie diet will lose weight with or without the HcG. There are concerns about this kicking up autoimmune diseases so use at your own risk.
- Thyroid: Make sure your Free T4 and Free T3 is balanced. Don’t start thyroid medication just to lose weight. If your thyroid numbers are in optimal range it is not your thyroid causing the issue – take a look at your adrenals if you are looking for the cause.
- Adrenals: High and low cortisol all send signals to increase that tire around your middle. Target these levels and weight loss will be easier, but it is a slow process. Once you get your cortisol levels balanced you will need to maintain it for a good 3-6 months for the weight loss to finally start happening. Be patient and be satisfied that you are feeling so much better by helping the adrenals.
- Skinny shots (our Power B shots): These injections have amino acids, B vitamins and L carnitine to help you burn fat preferentially when you combine it with exercise and healthy eating. Over time many of our patients have reported increase fat burning evidenced by a change in the size of their clothing (not weight loss because fat weighs very little).
- Keto & Paleo shakes/supplements: We have protein shakes that are geared toward the Keto and Paleo diet. Paleomeal, and our Pea protein by Designs for Health, are both very low carb. They even have a special shake made from beef plus MCT oil and Keto salts. Metagenics has a good keto program with shakes, MCT, salts with whey (dairy) as the base. So, if you need something quick and easy to fit your program just let us know.